Wednesday, February 22, 2017

My Qualifications

Can one really be qualified for language-making?

If you ask me what I majored in, I say "Linguistics," but this isn't 100% true. Technically, my degree is a B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies. For my degree, I had to choose two foci, and my were Linguistics (of which I took 24 hours) and Writing (of which I took 16 hours).

I took a lot of Linguistics classes, and boy do I not remember much.

I mean, I remember a lot of the basic stuff, and how to do certain things, and certain concepts, but a lot of terminology is completely lost to me. Used to, I would try to look things up to see if there was a word for what I need, but now I've kind of just started coming up with my own terminology for things.

Especially when dealing with language features that don't exist in English.

Basically: Linguistics is an enormous field of study and I can't know it all. Instead, I have to come up with terms for things to save time. Maybe I'll make a glossary for this kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment