Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Verbs - 1

Elessic verbs are marked as either being transitive or intransitive. In ditransitivity or something seems worthy of being marked, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Verbs do not change form for person, only tense and transitivity.

The "to be" Verb is sa, and it holds the distinction of not holding a standard ending. Despite this, it is conjugated as an Intransitive Verb, adding the proper endings.

Most Verbs begin their lives as Nouns.
A Noun may be turned into a Verb by adding a Verb ending.

Transitive Verbs bear the -nd ending, and Intransitive Verbs bear the -nt ending. Verbs are Transitive by default, unless no Transitive form can be reasonably deduced. For such Verbs, replacing the Transitive ending with the Intransitive one forms a "passive verb," which is used to form the Passive voice. For example:

paz means "fire," pazand means "to burn."
pazant means "to be burned."
la pazand means "I burn"
la pazant means "I am burned [by something]"

(there is no distinction, at this time, between Infinitive forms and the Simple Present)

Verbs performed by plural subjects take -s at the end of their forms.

be pazands means "We burn"
be pazants means "We are burned [by something]"

In passive phrases, the Actor is preceded by the particle vu.

la pazant vu rey means "I am burned by him."

Note that la is not in the Accusative Case, as Elessic Grammar considers it to be the subject of the sentence, performing the action of being burned.

A Present Tense Verb is always considered to be Progressive, unless preceded by the Particle ɪf, which "loosens" a Verb's Tense. ɪf forms the difference between "I am running" and "I run [in general/often]" in the Present Tense, "I ran" and "I used to run" in the Past Tense, and "I am going to run" and "I will run [sometime]" in the Future Tense. In each of these examples, the second sentence uses ɪf.

For non-Present Tense Verbs, progressiveness is indicated using the particle af.

Agent Nouns are formed using the suffixes -va (Persons), -di (Nonpersons). I'll do Passive Agent Suffixes later. These suffixes attach directly to the Root, and may or may not include the Vowel that precedes the Verb Ending (depending on how it sounds)

Here's a chart of verb endings and some examples:

No comments:

Post a Comment