Thursday, April 6, 2017

The Syllabic Spacer

This is something I hadn't gotten around to, yet, mostly because it doesn't come up all that often.

When I went through the language's Phonology, at the bottom was a glyph, ', which I defined as the "Syllabic Spacer."

' comes up only very rarely, and I at one point tried to remove it from the language, but eventually I decided to keep it around.

' indicates that the two adjacent sounds are part of separate syllables. For example, the "people group/race" suffix, a'i is two syllables ("ah.ee"). Another example is sa'in (a word for "Moon"), which is pronounced as two syllables, unlike sain. So far, most instances of ' occur between a and i, but some prefixes, such as e' (forms imperative verbs), use it to add a layer of separation between themselves and the word they modify.

' has a unique representation in non-Latin Elessic representations, which I'll get to when I do orthography (eventually).

No comments:

Post a Comment